Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fried Pies

We planned our whole week of dinners n Sunday night. Tonight for dinner we had salad, grilled chicken, a cheesy flatbread and we shared a giant artichoke. Mirav ate most of the artichoke, but I thought it was good too. After dinner we cleaned up and of course a question sprang to mind, "What's for dessert?" The answer, Fried Pies. It's exactly what it sounds like. We decided to head up to the food carts that are 8 blocks down Hawthorne on 12 ave and grab some Whiffies Fried Pies. We had them during our house hunting trip and they were pretty awesome.

It's cold out, so Tami was outfitted with his winter coat, complete with pockets and reflective stripe for easy visibility. It was really easy to snap a photo of him because after we put the jacket on him, he was frozen like this for a couple minutes until we put the leash on him and drug him out the door. 

First stop, Whiffies. A staple of the 12th and Hawthorne food cart mall. All they serve is fried pies. I had a peanut butter and chocolate pie. They deep fry it and hand it to you still warm. By the time you're halfway done, you're pretty much just licking chocolate peanut butter pudding with bits of crust off of the foil wrapper. I still have chocolate on my face as I write this. Worth it. 


Mirav decided against a fried pie. I know, weird right? She headed over to this place. The name sounds fancy, but it's just a trailer with a flat tire that makes crepes. You can't fool me frenchie! Mirav got a Nutella and Strawberry crepe which wasn't even done until after I finished my pie. So she ate hers on the walk home. When she could eat no more, she twisted my arm to finish what was left. It was very good. Overall a very satisfying dessert.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Tami - he looks very upset. He looked happier in the Santa outfit.

    ReplyDelete